Welcome to the "Exploring Everyday Relationship Emotions (EERIE)" survey!
Thank you for visiting this survey page. This survey has been approved by the FHMS University of Surrey Ethics Committee (FT-PSY-329-16, 22 November 2016).
Before deciding whether to participate in this research, please read the following information. You must also be aged 18 or over to participate. By selecting “Yes” at the bottom of this page and continuing to the next page, you are consenting to participate in this survey.
Dr Erica Hepper, Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Surrey
Bianca Suruianu and Diana Cheung, Volunteer Research Assistants at the University of Surrey
What will the study involve?
We may experience many different emotions while in, or thinking about, our relationships with others. This survey is investigating feelings involved in thinking about a current romantic partner or an ex-romantic partner.
You are welcome to take part either if you are aged 18 or older and:
- you are currently involved in a romantic relationship lasting at least 3 months, OR
- you are currently single (or casually dating people) but have previously been involved in a romantic relationship that lasted at least 3 months.
In this survey you will be asked to fill in some questionnaires about your general relationship experiences as well as the emotions you feel when thinking about your current or ex-romantic partner. The study will take approximately 15-20 minutes.
You should complete the study when you are alone at your computer and your responses cannot be overseen. Please take your time to respond to the questions thoughtfully and openly. Remember that there are no right or wrong answers – we are interested in different people's experiences and everyone is different, so feel free to provide completely honest responses. You are free to withdraw at any time during the study by closing your internet browser.
Will my participation in this study be kept confidential?
Yes, all data will be kept strictly confidential in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998. Responses will be saved and encrypted on a UK-based secure internet server. If you are a University of Surrey student and wish to earn a lab token, we will ask for your URN in a separate survey at the end. This will be deleted once all data have been collected. You will not be asked for any information that can identify you in the main survey, so your participation is anonymous. For this reason, it will not be possible to withdraw your data from the study after you have completed it.
The anonymised datafile will be stored on the researchers’ computers for at least 10 years, will only be used for the purpose of this study, and will not be shared with anyone other than the researchers involved. Any report or journal article based on this study will not identify any participants.
Risks and benefits
You may benefit by contributing to scientific understanding, and at the end of the study we will tell you more about our research aims and hypotheses and tell you where you can find out more about this topic. You can request a summary of the findings if you wish.
Whilst we do not expect any negative reactions to this study, it is not unusual to experience different emotions when completing questionnaires about relationships with others. If completing the study raises any issues for you, please use the resources below as a source of support.
- University of Surrey students: Centre for Wellbeing http://www.surrey.ac.uk/currentstudents/wellbeing/health/
- UK participants: find a counsellor at http://www.babcp.com/
- Worldwide: www.allaboutcounseling.com
- Couples: www.relate.com
If you have any questions about the research or would like a summary of the findings, please contact Dr Erica Hepper, at E.Hepper@surrey.ac.uk. In the unlikely event of a complaint you may also contact the Head of the School of Psychology at the University of Surrey, Professor Derek Moore, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have read and understood everything on this page, please read the following consent statements and click to indicate whether you want to take part.
Statement of Consent
- I am aged 18 years or older and I am either currently in, or have previously been involved in, a romantic relationship lasting at least 3 months.
- I voluntarily agree to take part in the “Exploring Everyday Relationship Emotions" survey.
- I have read and understood the Information Sheet provided. I understand the nature, purpose, location and likely duration of the study, and what I will be asked to do. I have been advised about any discomfort and possible ill-effects on my health and well-being which may result. I understand that all personal data relating to volunteers is held and processed in the strictest confidence, and in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act (1998). I agree that I will not seek to restrict the use of the results of the study on the understanding that my anonymity is preserved.
- I understand that I am free to withdraw from the study at any time without needing to justify my decision and without prejudice.
- I confirm that I have read and understood the above and freely consent to participating in this study.